This is one of my favorite kitchen experiments thus far. Combining a variety of recipes and providing a few tweaks of my own I came up with this yummy little number. It is gluten free and dairy free and can be made vegan as well. My initial experiment used chicken stock, but I am quite sure it will taste just as delicious with vegetable broth instead. I also made a large amount so I could freeze some, so you might choose to cut the ingredient amounts in half.
– You need to alot time to prepare soaked cashews. I have made it without soaking the cashews and it still tastes good, but it is better if you make the time to soak them.
– If you don’t care about having the layered look, just combine the milk sauce, cashew cheese, and butternut puree and layer it in equal amounts between noodles.
- 6 and a half cups skin on butternut squash, cubed, or approximately 1 medium squash.
- ½ cup chicken stock or vegetable broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/3 cups non-gluten flour (I used brown rice flour w/ a touch of xanthan gum)
- 4 cups plain almond milk or chicken stock
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 2 packages brown rice lasagna noodles cooked according to package instructions and drained
- 5 cups cashews soaked for 6-8 hours
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried onion powder
- 1 and a half teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
Preheat oven to 375 F.
In a large covered pot, cook squash and ½ cup chicken stock or vegetable broth over medium heat until squash is fork tender (15-20 minutes). Mash with a fork or puree squash in a food processor. Season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside. In a medium sauce pan, melt coconut oil over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook about one minute until bubbling. Slowly whisk in 4 cups milk or stock and continue cooking 5-7 minutes whisking frequently until thickened. Season with salt, pepper, and a pinch of nutmeg. Set aside.
To make cashew cheese filling combine cashews, water, lemon juice, garlic, onion powder and Italian seasoning in a food processor and blend until smooth, adding extra water if needed.
Coat the bottom of baking pans (two 13×9) with 6 Tablespoons of flour/oil/milk sauce each, or as much as needed to coat bottom. Then layer 1/6 of lasagna noodles, 1/4 of squash puree, and 1/6 of cashew cheese in each pan. Top with 1/4 of milk sauce, then repeat layering in each pan. Finish topping lasagna with remaining 1/6 of noodles, 1/6 of cashew cheese, and remaining 1/4 of milk sauce. Bake covered at 375 for 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake 15 more minutes. Let lasagna cool slightly then cut and serve.