I’ve been trying to get more regular with my posts and I didn’t plan on a midweek entry, but this recipe is too yummy to keep hidden. I was craving hot chocolate but since I am dairy free that limits my options. I also didn’t want to break the bank on my calorie intake and wanted to include as many “clean eating” components as possible. Thus, the following recipe was born. The coconut oil is completely optional, but I take it as a health supplement daily and loved the added coconut hint in this delicious drink.
Dairy Free Coco-nutty Hot Chocolate
- Prep Time/Cook Time:10 minutes,
- Makes: 2 cups
- 1 cup vanilla almond milk (I bet coconut milk would taste excellent in this as well)
- 1 cup water
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder or raw cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons raw honey (you can also do 1 tablespoon honey if you don’t mind a richer dark chocolate flavor or are trying to lower your calorie intake)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (optional)
1. Blend almond milk and cocoa powder together til all cocoa chunks are blended smooth.
2. Pour cocoa/milk mixture into a saucepan over medium heat.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients to the saucepan.
3. Stir well until blended, the honey and oil will melt in the heat. A film will develop on top of the liquid. This is normal and is just the coconut oil rising to the top.
4. Heat to desired temperature and enjoy.
(If you want to make a basically raw version blend all the ingredients but the water first, heat the water to a mild temperature and add to the other ingredients – trick learned from http://realrawhealth.com/raw-hot-chocolate-recipe)
Tell me what you think in the comments. Does it measure up to regular hot chocolate?